Thursday 5 September 2013

Big Swim Cornwall

The Big Swim event is a one mile swim from Port Gavern around the headland to Port Isaac, home to Martin Clunes. a.k.a Doc Martin.

Doc Martin on Port Isaac beach. 




You will notice the lovely weather and calm sea a few days before this years Big Swim.




On my first Big Swim the shimmering deep blue sea had turned in to a raging 7ft brown swell.



Starting off went quite well. Then I felt claustrophobic among the melee of swimmers so I sped off to find some space. I concentrated on my stroke and kept going at a nice steady pace, not sure how much energy to keep in reserve. At this point I was aware only of the bubbling sound of my exhalation and flashes of landmarks. 


The jolly flotilla followed us round the headland. As we turned the corner of the swell became very powerful, it pushed and pulled and made me feel really sea sick. I began to get tired I noticed my steady breathing became like walrus-type snorting. 

Out at sea - the harbour wall still not insight.








Finally the harbour wall. I knew I could safely return from here on in. The water felt calmer and shallower. I managed to swim the last 20 feet in top gear, passing and over taking a few other swimmers. Finally, I felt the bottom grow nearer and my hands brushed the sand. I looked up to see a packed beach, and staggered ashore. Awaiting me a free pint of Doom Bar. 









No comments:

Post a Comment